- Parent Category: Content
- Published on Friday, 13 November 2009 12:58
IAATE Membership Information
The International Association of Avian Trainers (IAATE) is an organization for individuals who are active in the field of avian training and who are involved in environmental education programs.
Many of our members are affiliated with a zoo or related park. A significant number are associated with private organizations focusing on public education utilizing birds. Still others work with schools, museums, aquaria, nature centers, rehabilitation centers, and botanical gardens. The majority of our membership is in the USA, but we have members from the UK, Portugal, Australia, Holland, Canada and Mexico, as well as other countries.
IAATE was founded to foster communication, professionalism and cooperation among those individuals who serve Avian Science through training, public display, research, husbandry, conservation, and education.
IAATE provides opportunities through which bird trainers can exchange and disseminate current knowledge, research and other information among themselves in professional and social settings. Our annual conference is usually held in February and papers are presented on a variety of subjects including avian training and husbandry, avian health issues, facility design, show production, presentation skills, etc. The website includes a Forum chat room where ideas on training, husbandry and program presentation topics are discussed.
Membership benefits include:
- IAATE’s quarterly newsletter, The Flyer, which includes articles on a broad range of subjects relevant to those in the field of avian training and public education or display.
- Discounted rates for IAATE’s annual conference.
- Eligibility to apply for IAATE’s annual awards. The Conservation Award is intended to recognize IAATE members' efforts to promote conservation. Conservation Grants are awarded to facilitate the start-up or continuation of conservation projects. Annual awards are also given for Behavior of the Year, Husbandry Behavior of the Year, Interpretive Behavior of the Year, Enrichment Award, "High Flyer" Award (for best conference paper), as well as awards for our annual Photo Contest.
- Access to the members’ only areas of the IAATE web site. The Member Forum section of the web site provides the opportunity to network with other members about the training and husbandry of education and exhibit birds, as well as job postings and internships. The on line Membership Directory gives you contact information to over 300 members.
- Listing in IAATE’s on-line Business Directory.
Membership levels are based on experience in the avian field
Professional members shall be persons who have actively participated in the training, husbandry, and/or management of birds for a total of at least three (3) years accumulated over a period of no more than five (5) years preceding the date of application. Professionals shall have the right to vote, hold elective office, and chair and serve on committees. Annual dues: $55 (Join Now)
Active members shall be persons who have actively participated in training, husbandry, and/or management of birds for at least one (1) continuous year within a period of no more than three (3) years preceding the date of application. Active members shall have the right to vote and to chair and serve on committees. Active members shall not have the right to hold elective office. Annual dues: $55 (Join Now)
Are interested in supporting the objectives of IAATE. Associate members may chair and serve on committees. They cannot vote or hold elective office. Annual dues: $55 (Join Now)
Full-time students interested in supporting the objectives of IAATE. Proof of current student status is required with application. Student members may chair and serve on committees. They cannot vote or hold elective office. Annual dues: $30 (Join Now)